This guide shows step by step how to get started with OpenStreetMap. You will learn how to set up an account, how to use basic map editing software, and in later chapters you can learn how to go outside and collect information to put on the map.
Are you new to OpenStreetMap and want to improve the map by adding data?
If you want to get started and be able to edit the map data then we recommend that you read these guides:
- the introduction gives you some background about the project
- Getting started shows you how to get an account and how to invoke an editor
- in iD editor you learn the basics of editing the data
You already know how to use an editor and want to contribute to Humanitarian Mapping?
The main point is to learn how mapping in this context is coordinated.
- the remote mapping guide and the general information about humanitarian mapping provide some background
- the workhorse is the Tasking Manager whose workflow you should get familiar with
Would you like to use OpenStreetMap on mobile devices?
There is a whole chapter devoted to mobile mapping